New Site!

Please go to the new site, ChangeYouCanAfford.com. This site is no longer going to be updated or kept current. All posts and information will be on the new site.

Come join us on the new site!


Hey all. Just so you know this will now be the only place for these blog posts.

As we transition Change You Can Afford into a charity, that site will be dedicated to the charity and no longer host the blogging archives.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Microfinance week

This week I want to focus on microfinance  programs, however, due to the way these organization function giving them a dollar would be near useless. Instead I will be giving $25 to one of the  microlending program which I write about this week and y'all get to choose which one.

I will write about five different microlending programs throughout the week. When you like the organization or their work you can leave a comment, which will count as one vote for that organization and the organization which receives the most comments will be the winner. You can only vote once for each organization, but you can vote multiple times throughout the week. In the event of a tie, I get to choose the organization. The voting will be closed at noon Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, so don't forget to vote and check back throughout the week.

Any questions, just leave a comment below. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I definitely posted a comment on this about two minutes after you posted the thread saying "Okay, I know I am commenting creepily fast, but have you considered Kiva?" And now you wrote about Kiva so I just look like I'm ripping your idea off. But I'm not! I posted it first! I promise.

    (Also, look into Nest. www.buildanest.org. They are a micro-bartering organization. Poor woman gets a loan, pays it back in products which are then sold in US. She also gets education, etc and continued access to markets once loans are paid off)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you say so. :-) But I will look at that organization, it looks very interesting. It might bump out friday's organization. Thanks for the suggestion. At first glance I worry that it could create a reliance on the loans in some communities, but will read more before I assume that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya it might, but in the same way that any micro-finance group will. And I like the bartering method more since they don't charge the exorbitant interest rates that most micro-lending groups do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like that aspect, and I did try to weed out the groups with higher interest rates, seems to defeat the purpose. However, interest rates are typically higher in many of these countries, which is why some organizations charge them. As long as the rates are reasonable I think it is alright, but its hard to know exactly what is reasonable for them and what is exorbitant. All I can do is not support those whose rates are higher than the others...
    But I think Nest will be Friday's charity instead of the original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very hard to choose. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats why I am making my readers choose for me. ;-) It is very difficult though, because they are all quite wonderful in different regards. But just go with whichever one you like, and you can vote multiple times if you are torn.

    ReplyDelete